Pandemic Packaging Trends: Specialty Finishes Continue to Shine
Although 2020 events have impacted supply chains and slowed the growth of sustainable packaging, the importance of specialty finishes continues to be a pandemic packaging trend. Many brands opt for new foil techniques and innovative varnish textures as a way to keep costs down, while still achieving a high-end look. They are also an effective touch to get your packaging spotted on social media and online shopping platforms.
- Glitter: Incorporates small holographic bits of glitter.
- MotionCoat: A UV coating system that when used with vector based artwork creates a stunning motion-like image.
- Gloss: Creates a noticeable contrast between the glossy UV coating and the smooth matte appearance where the spot OPV is under the coating.
- Pearlescent: Produces a pearl shimmer effect when applied over or under an ink or on a substrate and can mute an image when applied over ink.
- Emboss: Is a multi-dimensional label with a raised effect in specific areas that gives depth to a design and adds a tactile sensation. It’s typically used on lettering, custom designs, patterns, or decoration effects to create a striking label.
- Sandy Feel: Range of different particle sizes that allows for a very rough to soft and silky feel options.
- Soft Touch: Creates a matte surface that has a velvety, soft feel.
- Tactile: A finish that gives a slightly raised texture to the label that drive people touch and feel it.
- Cold Foil: allows printers to apply foil onto a substrate at press speed. This technique produces brilliant metallic effects and can print fine lines, reverse outs, half tones and full tones, all in accurate register.
- Spot Coating: is used to make sections of label design stand out, while also adding dimension with the contrast of gloss and matte finishes.
Overnight Labels has been widely recognized for their emphasis on innovation and an expertise in finishes. We use a number of printing techniques in all categories including labels, shrink sleeves, flexible packaging and package prototyping. Currently, we are one of the only printers in the United States to offer metallic inks for digital printing. New capabilities include silk screening on shrink sleeves and HP Mosaic digital printing, which generates thousands of unique graphics from just one label design.
Seeing is believing. To receive a sample kit that includes a wide variety of finishes, including award-winning examples from the Foil and Specialty Effects Association, click here.