2022 Packaging Trend: Specialty Labels
Packaging needs to be on point in order to stand out on shelves and online. But with so many beauty products fighting for attention, bold color choices or unique container shapes may not be enough. Specialty labels with eye-catching finishes, tactile coatings, or a combination of both deliver the wow factor that is influencing today’s consumer purchase.
Don Earl, president of Overnight Labels says, “Every week we see more and more requests for label embellishments, which are produced using a variety of techniques with varnishes, laminations, substrates, and equipment.” Because of the converter’s expertise in this area, Overnight Labels has actually created their own proprietary textures and finishes like leather and snakeskin.
“Sometimes the packaging industry has not yet caught up to a designer’s imagination, so we like to do our own new product development,” said Earl. It’s almost like being a chemist, experimenting with different formulas to find the perfect combination of elements. Done well, the consumer is left with a unique sensory experience just by holding a product in their hand.”
Earl says. “Adding dimension to a label opens up an array of design options that range from strong to subtle and soft to scratchy.”
Tempted to Touch
Here is a breakdown of some of the most popular possibilities:
- Soft Touch is a type of coating that gives the label a velvet-like texture and enhances its look. It also serves as fingerprint-resistant barrier.
- Embossing produces a raised area very often used in the type, logo or patterned background. This aesthetic provides a rich depth that instantly signals an expensive feel.
- Glitter Coating amps up the glam by adding glitter particles to spot UV coating. Consumers can’t help but reach out and touch when they see packaging with this eye-catching decoration.
- Pearlescent Coating is glitter coating’s more subtle counterpart. It produces a shimmering, reflective effect that feels lush to the touch.
- Spot UV Coating brings a unique element by emphasizing specific areas of the label. Using a thicker coating has a 3D effect and can be used quite effectively in the overall design.
- Sandy Finishes offer a slightly coarse feel similar to fine sandpaper and adds a small surprise to consumers when they check out the goods.
Seeing is believing. To receive a sample kit that includes a wide variety of finishes, including award-winning examples, click here.